Can I echo this? We started a $1.7 million technology center in Ghana
exclusively with philanthropic/social motivation, but quickly moved from
a 'non-profit' model to a for-profit private sector investment. There
are all sorts of benefits positioning yourself in the private sector,
from attracting certain personnel, investors, strategic partners as well
as having a disciplined financial environment to operate within.

The problem is that I think we lack more models of this hybrid
social/profitable venture. There's no easy way to explain (or
replicate!) our motivations and people tend to be extremely suspicious
when you say that you seek a social return over and above a financial
one (this is slightly different to starting a business that also has
'social' goals). I'd like to argue that a good social objective
(actually delivering something people want or need) may even be better
crafted if left (to varying degrees) to the marketplace itself to vote
by buying the services themselves (affordability is key here, and
various assistance can help target and serve under-served communities...
InfoDev is about to leverage our organization to incubate some SMEs).

Anyway, not being purely 'social' or purely 'profitable' has left our
model of investment somewhere in the middle and I think there's no
language for us to have a comfortable conversation. I also have
encountered some NGOs that don't want to be involved in our programs to
discuss or promote ICT4D because there's a profit element in our
organization. That's really frustrating. I don't quite know whether the
development world has really gotten to the point where they can have an
honest discussion about leveraging the private sector to deliver
services. I hear lots of talk about this, and some 'transformative'
period at the World Bank, but they still seem to be estranged partners
unwilling to have constructive dialogue to truly co-operate.

I think people should be able to make profits out of delivering socially
beneficial services. But what words do we use, how do we classify this,
how can we assess motives and reward in a more modern vernacular. What
does 'social' mean anyway? And I also think that in many developing
communities there is a donation-dependency syndrome, where gifts are the
model people are comfortable with, attracted to, and receives the social
recognition in the media. Clearly, there's been a historical context
where outside intervention merits a decent amount of suspicion with
regard to motives. But I just hope that participants on this list, and
working in this area, can recognize a variety of models for development
that harness the private sector and social entrepreneurship. I think it
may be a much quicker, more efficient, and more responsive model than
traditional development organizations that are focused on next year's
board meeting to secure the next round of funding.

Mark Davies
BusyInternet Ghana
www.busyinternet.com