I enjoyed reading your post, Peter, as my organization, Youth for
Technology Foundation, is currently exploring some of these
possibilities.

The shared bandwidth problem is never as easy as it sounds to implement.
In Nigeria, this is the so-called revenue generating model of several
cybercafes - rural or urban. The problem, though, is that the primary
subscribers of the VSAT oversubscribe their service out to other
neighboring subscribers (other internet cafe's, businesses etc). At the
end of the day, the service of secondary subscribers is incredibly bad,
but the primary subscriber gets the revenue at the end of the month
regardless of the service quality.

Njideka Ugwuegbu Harry
Founder/Executive Director
Youth for Technology Foundation
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
phone/U.S:  425-681-3920
phone/Nigeria: 8038665843
web: http://www.youthfortechnology.org

On Thursday, January 6, 2005, Peter Baldwin wrote:

> We are working with exactly the model that Jeff Buderer described: a
> central VSAT, with the connection shared by many through a local
> wireless network. We have found that it is economically feasible on
> paper at least, and are in the process of rolling out such systems in
> several locations in Mali. The relevant constraint is how to share the
> bandwidth with enough people (meaning, efficiently) to make it
> affordable for each one without completely bogging down transfer speeds.
> (It is a classic maximization problem: maximize number of subscribers,
> subject to a bandwidth constraint.)

..snip...