John,

This seems like a tremendous amount of money to spend on connectivity,
particularly when grandmas on Nigeria survive on a less than a dollar a
day. So in other words on a very practical level you are dealing with
the issues discussed here about ROI. But we are not talking about
profitability in the purest sense here we are talking about the fact
that you can employ, feed, clothe and nurse a lot of AIDS infected
people back to health with that 1800 dollars you spend on the Internet
(you said it was v-sat right?) every month.

The reality of these extremely high ICT costs causes many to think twice
about the ICT sensation among aid and development gurus and to look
critically at these programs. I am encouraged by discussions here and
plan to look more deeply and carefully at the economic logic beyond ICT
augmented development programs. I think this is particularly important
because the potential of ICT to transform lives, if properly and
effectively applied, is extremely high.

I was wondering what other experiences there are in this group with
relation to satellite in terms of costs, reliability and how they
compare with the other forms of Internet connectivity.

In an off list discussion with Lee Thorn and several others, we have
begun to explore some of the issues associated with ICT and particularly
in relation to the high cost of satellite. This led me to do research to
actually explore the costs.

One of the concepts that my org OVF is exploring is the idea of
developing a satellite system that would share the cost of the satellite
with surrounding communities through a wireless system using similar
technology as developed by Tim Pozar for the BARWN project
<http://www.barwn.org/>.

The WISP concept is still not fully clear in my mind. Is it something
like this? A BARWN like system would partially reduce the high cost of
ICT in developing countries by reducing ISP distribution costs. To do
this, a central hub community would be the location for a wholesale
satellite connection. The wholesale connection, while expensive, would
ensure a discount price for bandwidth, which would enable a sharing of
the savings for surrounding communities through low cost, disruptive
wireless systems such as BARWN. This would in turn lead to reduced ISP
costs (thus this strategy scaled properly could be a major factor in
reducing the digital divide). Rather than relying on a v-sat
subcontractor on the ground that might engage in price gouging abuses, a
group of communities could themselves maintain that control by
developing a social enterprise to contract to provide those services to
the member communities through one central satellite rather than a
series of them, as is the case with v-sat (based on my very limited
understanding). The service would operate from a centrally located
community, which would function as a hub distributing reasonably priced
ISP/ICT services to the surrounding communities.

I was wondering what specifically you get from all that cost?
- Possibly you have a high bandwidth capacity.
- Remote location in Nigeria could account for the high fees.
- V-sat packages may be more expensive than direct satellite and this
may explain the cost differential.

A brief and arbitrary online search of the satellite services lead to
about a 200-500 dollar a month range (I assumed those quotes applied for
Africa/west Africa region as they were listed in the coverage area).

I assume that Satellite rates are significantly cheaper in affluent
regions (hence a major reason for the digital divide) but to a lesser
degree than the disparity between landline based services.

In the US, Earthlink offers satellite ISP services for 80 dollars a
month.

SkyCrossing appears to be a direct satellite system. Basic packages
start at speeds up to 512 kbps downstream and 128kbps upstream with an
allotment of 2GB per month for $299 per month <www.skycrossing.net>, which
actually seems pretty affordable. I however saw a quote for as low as $250
a month, and up front costs that total approx 6000 dollars.

Residential service is based on a hybrid model integrating satellite
broadband as a backbone and fixed wireless as the final mile.
SkyCrossing residential service is priced at $49.99 per month with
speeds up to 512 kbps downstream/144 kbps upstream
http://www.alphastar.com/press_releases/press_rel_07_06_01.htm

Jeff Buderer | [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sustainable Design/Project Development
oneVillage Foundation USA | http://www.onevillagefoundation.org