Dear Eddi Sakti:

Excellent report. My answer to your concluding question is to involve
the citizenry (and the business community) throughout the development of
the e-government program. The primary objective of e-government should
be the improvement of government services to the citizens, business and
other communities, and not operational efficiency. As to transparency,
it is the involvement of the people and not computerization that creates
openness. You may be interested in the approach being taken in Macedonia
(see separate email) which is no bigger than most ketjamatans (old
spelling...)
Sampai bertamu lagi on-line....

On Friday, May 6, 2005, Eddi Sakti wrote:

> The problem with ICT for local government is that there is never enough
> money or people to do the job right. I have experienced this very
> problem in my own country, Indonesia. I will give you an example and I
> am sure the story is the same in other developing countries.

> We started decentralization of the government responsibilities many
> years ago. Ministry of Health tried to decentralize a lot of
> responsibilities as was demanded by the law. The World Bank funded
> putting computers into kecamatan (Moderator's Note: 'district') to help
> improve their operations. The trouble was that the funding was too
> limited and most of the kecamatan did not get enough funds for them to
> use ICT to do their new responsibilities.

..snip...

> The funding is one problem, but there is an even bigger problem. Donors
> are saying that decentralization will help "transparency" which means
> that the local people will be able to see what their local government is
> doing and will be able to have more control over it. But at the local
> level the people do not know how to get the information that will keep
> their local government honest.
>
> This problem can be solved. Since it is impossible to train all the
> people in how to use ICT to get information, I think the best way is to
> train the local civil society organisations. It is an obvious solution!

..snip...