Dear GKD Members,

In light of Barbara Fillip's message on GIS applications for Local
Government, here's a BBC report on the subject.

---------------------------------------

"Satellite Mapping Fights Corruption"
By Alfred Hermida
BBC News Online in Bangladesh

Digital maps of Bangladesh are proving invaluable in the fight against
sleaze in a country branded as one of the most corrupt in the world.

The maps are used together with a computerised national database to
decide where new roads or schools should be built.

The aim is to ensure that tough decisions about development priorities
and spending are governed by local needs rather than the whim of
politicians.

"It has become an excellent planning tool to plan and identify
priorities, said Quamrul Islam Siddique, who pioneered the scheme. "This
information is open, transparent and available to all."

Political demands

Mr Siddique headed the Local Government Engineering Department for 18
years and oversaw the creation of the computer-based mapping system,
called Geographic Information Systems (GIS).

GIS uses information that is stored on databases and places it on a map,
making it clear to read and understand.

Now retired, Mr Siddique saw that the system could be used to fight
corruption. "Roads must connect the growth centres or local markets, not
just a politician's house," he said.

"We can decide whether a request meets local requirements, rather than a
politician's demands."

Interference

Corruption has plagued Bangladesh in the past. The country came top of
the public sector corruption list for the second year running in a
recent report by the lobby group Transparency International.

Mr Siddique explained how political interference in the past had
affected the development of Bangladesh's infrastructure.

He cited the example of a local power plant that was built in a
politician's constituency, rather than close to a local river.

"The power station has been crippled forever as water needs to be
brought from far away," he said.

Less chance of fraud

The computer-mapping system is designed to prevent any such abuses
happening any more.

"The maps are available to everyone," explained Mr Siddique, who is
president of the Institute of Engineers in Bangladesh.

"They are not secret. Any group can get the information and lobby for a
road or school."

This openness means that local councillors are fully informed about
plans for their area and are thus better able to make sure they spend
their budget wisely.

"People are encouraged by this. We are not stupid any more," said
Khasimpur council leader Mohammed Kalimuddin.

"Now they have to show us whether they've done the road that we needed.
The days when you could do whatever you wanted are over. You can't run
away with the funds."

In the future, the digital maps will be available over the web to
councils with an internet connection.

Local authorities see this as the next logical step. "It will be helpful
for us to know what work we have done and what works are pending,"
explained the Mirzapur council leader Abdul Latif.

"When we are doing these works, there will be less chance of fraud. We
will always have a record."

GPS on bikes

Work on creating the first ever accurate digital map of Bangladesh
started in 1991. By the time it was completed in 1996, it offered the
most accurate and detailed geographic guide to the country.

The maps were put together using satellite images bought commercially.
Every year they are updated by engineers who go around the country on
motorbikes to check the information using handheld Global Positioning
System devices.

At headquarters in Dhaka, staff can draw up maps of the country and
superimpose information like the size of villages, location of schools
or condition of roads.

The department is responsible for 200,000 kilometres of roads in the
country where only one in six is paved.

"Our ultimate aim is to create better opportunities for people, to give
services to people," explained the country's Chief Engineer, Shahidul
Hassan.

"This tool is very important because if you don't have the basic data,
how can you plan for improvement?"

For more information, please visit:

LGED GIS (Geographic Information System) Unit
http://www.lged.gov.bd/hq_setup/gis_unit.htm

--
Miraj Khaled
============

On 5/17/05, Barbara Fillip wrote:

> Earlier this year, USAID organized a workshop on Decentralization and
> Local Governance in the Asia and Near East Region. The workshop took
> place in Cairo, Egypt. You can find out more on the workshop's web site
> <http://www.localgovernance.org>. I was lucky enough to be attending the
> workshop and to present in a panel on "IT and the Media". One of my
> co-panelists made a presentation on a very interesting project in
> Lebanon where ICT is being used to support local administration at the
> level of municipalities.
>
> Link to the Presentation:
>
> http://www.localgovernance.org/binderdocs/pres_freij.pdf
>
> One element of this project in Lebanon, which is also present in one of
> our dot-ORG projects in Central America is the use of GIS (Geographic
> Information System) to assist local planning and track all cadastral,
> financial and administrative data related to the community.
..snip...