Kaya

I like to announce the development of a new QR code creator.  The original
idea for the upgrade came from Wikimedia Australia and its work with
Toodyay WikiTown project.

Wikimedia Australia has setup out to create two new independent resources
for the Qrpedia project with the support of Wikimedia UK who first
developed the QRpedia concept back 2011 and presented it to the community
in 2012.

The two concepts are;

   - a new qr code creator that uses the stable Wikidata item url.
   - the reason for for this was to firstly avoid what turned out to be a
      costly exercise for Toodyay when some articles were renamed in a
couple of
      instances just breaking the qr link to wikipedia, in another instance
      sending the reader to an unrelated article
      - this also gives us the opportunity to link directly to the other
      projects
      - and connect all of that in a two way exchange of knowledge with the
      numerous 3rd GLAM's through their unique identifiers
   - the concept is now to create a qr reader thats based within the
   Wikimedia Foundation family
      - this first and foremost will ensure that our readers aren't being
      directed to third party services that capture user data, and use
it to spam
      them with usual set internet advertising, scams, and phishing
         - a feature that is significant to GLAMs, Education institutions,
         and ourselves
      - this reader will enable user to connect with all of our information
      whether be Wikipedia articles, Quotes, diaries & journals(Wikisource), or
      Wikivoyage and its itineraries.
      - I think there is also the potential for Education/Wikiversity to
      develop learning programs connecting real life observations to
WMF content.
      - For GLAMs it'll be able to provide a safe reliable way for links to
      and from their collections
      - all of this within a multi lingual environment free from
      advertising

I'd like to thank Dave for his efforts in turning a discussion at a Perth
meetup  into reality.  I also acknowledge the WMF & WMAU for supporting me
on a detour post WMCONF 2017 to discuss the concept with the WMUK and the
some of the people involved in the development of the original project,
those discussion were invaluable getting to this point.

I looked forward to the next part of the project and hope that people will
come forward with suggestions, requests, and help so that as a community we
take an even bigger step in sharing the sum of all knowledge

Regards
Gideon Digby(Gnangarra)
Vice President Wikimedia Australia
Noongarpedia: https://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wp/nys/Main_Page