George Russell wrote:
> [...] Supposing you now make a change to C.  For example, suppose
> you add a line
>    pangle = "pangle"
> to the end of C, and add "pangle" to the list of exports from C.
> Then you recompile C.  You will find that C.hi now has a new version
> number "2".

Strange, this is not the case with my version of GHC (from the CVS
repository two days ago).

> Also of course the values which are also listed in the .hi file are
> changed.
>
> Now recompile B.  You will then find that even though the interface
> to B is precisely the same, the version number attached to B.hi
> is bumped up by one.  Thus B.hi is updated and you then get a
> completely unnecessary recompilation of A, since A.o depends on

Adding -recomp to GHC's flags should be an improvement for your kind
of problem in any case. Although make still thinks it's time to
recompile some .hs files, GHC is more clever and does *not* recompile
in most cases when it can be avoided.

Cheers,
   Sven
--
Sven Panne                                        Tel.: +49/89/2178-2235
LMU, Institut fuer Informatik                     FAX : +49/89/2178-2211