Good evening,

OK. I don't know Haskell enough to argue.

But I can't resist pointing out that reading a single byte having the value 233
(that is 'י') is certainly simpler than reading the four characters "\233",
parse it, and translate it into a single byte having the value 233 representing
no matter what character in your character table.

But, I don't care that much and I'm sorry for this.

Best regards,

Francis Girard
LE CONQUET
France