Bulat Ziganshin wrote:
Hello Simon,

This means that making a minimal distribution in a build tree that has
everything is not just a matter of removing stuff, also the Haddock
index must be rebuilt, and the package database needs to have the extra
packages removed too.

it seems that dividing ghc to the core and additional libs is
dependent on cabalizing all those packages that are now distributed
with ghc?

so, situation is rather paradox - in order to strip some lib from ghc
distribution because it don't used at all, one should cabalize it :)

at least we can start by removing from ghc distribution large
graphics/sound libraries that was already cabalized. are there such
beasts?

All those packages are already Cabalized. Hugs uses Cabal to build all its libraries. As for whether all the Cabal scripts work propertly with GHC... I suspect there may be some hiccups, since we haven't tested that.

Cheers,
        Smion