On Sep 27, 2006, at 6:05 AM, Matthew Pocock wrote:

Fortress (sun's possibly-not-vaporware hpc language) supports arbitrary unicode chars in code, and has an escape syntax for commonly used things.

I have spent the past week writing Fortress code (which runs in parallel, even). But I'm perhaps a special case. :-)

Similarly, proof-general/isabelle supports tex-style escapes for symbols & greek. It seems to me that a pre-processor that turns human- friendly escapes (e.g. \{lambda} rather than some magic number) into unicode and a slightly intelligent IDE (or emacs mode?) would go most of the way to letting us use up-side-down ys and curly as with all the visual beauty and editor niceness
that we have now with ascii.

In Fortress we spent a *lot* of effort making the "TWiki" syntax as painless as possible for stuff which we planned to use often (for example, -> and => turn into Unicode arrows, and the language syntax is defined in terms of them). One source of both encouragement and frustration is the fact that every unicode code point has an associated description. We support using these descriptions---and various shortenings of them, since they are too verbose for day-to- day use. The frustration is that the names or their shortenings are not necessarily unique. For characters which only occur in strings this is less critical, but a little effort will go a long way.

One heuristic we've used is: "if I do a diff on the ASCII representation provided by my version control system, will I be able to read the result?"

We of course have a little program which processes an official unicode character table (downloaded from the web) plus some information about our special cases and uses it to generate the appropriate conversion functions. This is important because Unicode is constantly changing (mostly getting bigger).

-Jan-Willem Maessen
 Fortress developer, Haskell hacker

Matthew