On 18/08/2008, at 8:13 PM, Simon Marlow wrote:
So would I usually, though I've had to turn down cc flags to get darcs to build on ia64 before (SHA1.hs generates enormous register pressure).

We should really use a C implementation of SHA1, the Haskell version isn't buying us anything beyond being a stress test of the register allocator.

.. and perhaps a test case for too much code unfolding in GHC? Sounds like bugs to me. :)

If you turn down GHC flags the pressure also goes away.

Ian: Did this problem result in Intel CC / GCC register allocator freakouts?

Ben.