On 08/08/2016 02:37 PM, David Gossage wrote:
On Mon, Aug 8, 2016 at 4:23 PM, Joe Julian <j...@julianfamily.org <mailto:j...@julianfamily.org>> wrote:

    On 08/08/2016 01:39 PM, David Gossage wrote:
    So now that I have my cluster on 3.7.14 and sharded and working I
    am of course looking for what to break next.

    Currently each of 3 nodes is on a 6 disk (WD Red 1TB) raidz6 (zil
    on mirrored ssd), which I am thinking is more protection than I
    may need with a 3 way replica.  I was going to one by one change
    them to basically raid10 letting it heal in between.

    Is best way to do that a systemctl stop glusterd, should I just
    kill the brick process to simulate a brick dying, or is their an
    actual brick maintenance command?

    Just kill (-15) the brick process. That'll close the TCP
    connections and the clients will just go right on functioning off
    the remaining replica. When you format and recreate your
    filesystem, it'll be missing the volume-id extended attributes so
    to start it you'll need to force it:

       gluster volume start $volname start force

If I left volume started when brick process is killed and clients are still (in theory) connected to volume wouldn't that just give me an error that volume is already started?

No, it will just force-start the missing brick.

Likely I would shut down the volume and do downtime for this anyway though letting heals go on with VM's off.

    If /etc/glusterfs is unchanged and /var/lib/glusterd is unchanged
    will doing a heal full after reboot or restarting glusterd take
    care of everything if I recreate the expected brick path first?

    Once started, perform a full heal to re-replicate.

    Are the improvements in 3.8 for sharding significant enough I
    should first look at updating to 3.8.2 when released in few days?

    Yes.

    */David Gossage/*/*
    */
    //*Carousel Checks Inc.| System Administrator*
    *Office*708.613.2284