From what my Professor told me it is my understanding that cutoff length is somewhat a trade-off between accuracy of the simulation and length of time to generate the simulation. A higher cut-off indicates more accuracy but will take longer to simulate. I use low cut-offs for less important simulations like energy minimizations.

An increase in density would mean a larger number of simulated molecules and therefore a need for a higher cut-off for more accurate data. That is my best theory anyway.
This point of view implies that the potentials used are perfect and then indeed the longer cutoff you use the more accurate your interactions energies become. You have to consider that current potential are parameterized to reproduce some
data (structural and thermodynamics experimental data) and this using a
given cutoff. Modifying the cutoff means that you modify the potential and therefore the model will not necessarily (and most often) fit the experimental
data anymore.

Arden Perkins