Natalie:

It would also be a good idea for you to ensure that your supervisor knows how difficult it is to learn and correctly apply these methods. If they think that a person can learn linux and gromacs and the gromacs pull code in a short period of time, then the stage is set for frustration and ultimate disaster.

Lots of people think that these things are plug and play -- of course, they are not.

If you don't have a mentor nearby who can help you, then figuring this all out and getting some meaningful data could easily take you a year. I don't mean to scare you off, but it is true that while no professor asks a new student to get protein crystals within a few months, that request is often made for simulation results from experimental supervisors.

Perhaps the gromacs community should be working toward getting testimonials to the significant amount of time that it can take to learn to run simulations properly on the gromacs site that new users could direct their supervisors to in the case that those supervisors are not acquainted with molecular simulation.

Chris.

Natalie Stephenson wrote:
Hi,

I'm a complete novice when it comes to using any kind of command prompt based programmes and hadn't even heard of Linux until my supervisor wanted me to use gromacs ... so needless to say I'm running into a few problems!!

I've managed to perform all the generic energy minimisations etc on my protein (basically I can do everything that has been spoon fed to me on the tutorial), but now I want to begin simulating AFM pulling experiments. I've printed (and bound!) the entire manual but I'm still coming up against problems with understanding how I go about running the AFM simulations.

Does anyone have a basic syntax they have used to perform a similar simulation so I can work from there and figure out what I need to put where?

Also, do I need to create any specific input files for these simulations?

Thanks so much for your help with this...
A rather inept gromacs user (Natalie!)
xxx

There is a steered MD component to the umbrella sampling tutorial:

http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Tutorials#Pull_Code_and_Umbrella_Sampling

Though it is an excellent reference, the manual will not teach you everything you need to know. The mailing list archive (although currently glitching) and Google are your friends, as well. There are hundreds of threads in the archive about pull code success and failure, at least some of which should be informative :)

Thanks loads!! I'll give it a try! Natalie xxx