On 13/04/2012 10:44 AM, Juliette N. wrote:
Hello all,

I am trying to exclude a nonbonded interactions on the polymer chains using

grompp -f old.mdp -c old_em.gro -p nrexcl_new.top -o new.tpr

and mdrun -rerun command. but when I issue the command above grompp
takes many hours to finish and at the end grompp crashes (Killed).
This even leads to some weired hardware problem which gibes failure of
node having some CPUs..I mean when I get grompp failure, I am not able
to connect to the node anymore and will have to restart the node!

grompp gives:

Generated 332520 of the 332520 1-4 parameter combinations
Opening library file /usr/local/gromacs/share/gromacs/top/spc.itp
Opening library file /usr/local/gromacs/share/gromacs/top/ions.itp
Excluding 101 bonded neighbours molecule type 'Polymer'

Can anyone help me please?

Justin explained the fundamental reason for the problem. Apparently the implementation of the nrexcl=large is not robust with respect to memory usage and/or CPU time for large numbers of exclusions. So you will have to use energy group exclusions like I suggested earlier in this thread.

Mark

Thanks