Evgeniy Philippov wrote:
Though I'd prefer extending a low-level (asm&hardware) experience over extending a high-level exp (e.g. bash/python/.deb). I could easily invest in a new home machine if that's relatively affordable.

There was an effort to free the firmware for the EC in the Lemote Yeeloong. I think that's not completed yet, mostly because it's very difficult.

The GRUB2 developers were working on using GRUB2 as firmware for the Lemote machines. They succeeded for the Fuloong. I don't know what the status for Yeeloong is. Talk to phcoder in #gnewsense-dev.