In a message dated: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 15:01:45 EDT
"Derek D. Martin" said:

>> I don't believe there was ever a name-length limitation on filenames.
>
>Then you believe incorrectly.  Many variants of Unix had a
>14-character filename limit.  There is still a limit today, though
>it's ridiculously large, so as not to matter practically.

Ahh, 14 characters, that does sound familiar.  You're right.  It was
the mention of 4 character file names which threw me.  Sorry.

>I may only be imagining this, but I could swear it was a predecessor
>to Unix, from whence many of these commands originally came (possibly
>multics?  anyone?) that did have a four character filename limit.

I don't know a lot about multics.  Perhaps you're thinking of the 6
character limitations of node names in DECNET, from whence came the
famous 'decvax' et. al.?

>OTOH, I haven't been getting much sleep lately... =8^)

What else have you to do? ;)
--

Seeya,
Paul