From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Greater NH Linux User Group" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, January 15, 2003 12:41 PM
Subject: Re: Wireless weirdness (was: NT Stuff)

On Wed, 15 Jan 2003, at 12:16pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Thing is though Ben, the machine I had the most trouble with was
> manufactured by a now merged PC company called Compaq.

  That's nice.  Was it on the HCL?  :-)

> With the original factory installation the machine wouldn't run more than
> an hour or so without crashing or blue screening.

  I would have had some strong words for the vendor in that case.

  Actually, *I* wouldn't, because I wouldn't buy a Compaq if someone else
paid for it.  But that's another issue.  ;-)

> In fact I don't remember ever seeing a stable AMD K6 based system.

  I have.  I have also seen plenty that are *not* stable.  There is one
infamous motherboard, the FIC VA-503, which I have *never* seen run Windows
successfully (sample = four units, three vendors, two different sites).  It
does run Linux well, but as near as I can tell, Windows simply will not run.
The same processors worked fine in other motherboards, but not that one.

  Come to think of it, I have also seen motherboards for Intel chips which
never ran right, either.

  Point being: You're quick to point the finger at the CPU, but I suspect
the problem lies elsewhere.

  There *are* a disproportionately higher number of crap motherboards (and
core logic chipsets) for AMD's chips, because AMD is a much bigger presence
in the "low end" sector of the market.

--
Ben Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>