Derek, I think you just made my point! For every happy user you can find one
almost equally unhappy. As another data point I helped someone out with
their problem about a year ago. They had purchased a shiny new HP Pavilion
desktop system. They tried and failed to reliably connect to 3 different
ISPs with the built-in Rockwell/Conexant winmodem. They spent hours on the
phone with the ISPs and HP. Finally the guy's brother asked me to call him.
I discussed it with him for a few minutes and suggested he run down to his
local Circuit City/Best Buy/Staples and pick up a new external modem (~$50).
Voila! End of problem. I explained to him that the built-in v.90 modems
although standard conformant did not necessarily interoperate with many
ISP's modem arrays. I had been through this previously with other users and
always fixed the problem by adding or replacing the modem. But this guy
can't say anything nice about HP. It's only their problem in a backhanded
way. Worse, at some point they shipped him an entirely new box which of
course worked no better than the first one. And the icing on the cake? AFAIK
he kept the second box because he was so PO'd at HP! Talk about a losing
proposition...

-Alex

P.S. You may recall the giant p'ing contest between the K56-Flex advocates
and the X-2 advocates. They compromised on the v.90 standard but
deliberately chose to forgo interoperability testing. The rest, as they say,
is history.