On Wednesday, March 19, 2003, at 10:31 AM, Kevin D. Clark wrote:

So, for something I'm working on, it is desirable to have a Linux box configured such that most of the filesystems on the box are mounted read-only. Ideally, only /var would be mounted read-write.

Trivially easy, right? Not entirely...

Take a look at the Knoppix distribution. It runs entirely from CD. I've also seen CD based versions of Redhat, slackware, and debian before.

So, again, how have other people solved this problem?

(if it matters, I'm using RH 7.x and 8.x stuff as a base system, so
now you know the flavor of my init scripts)

The RH installation/rescue CD is a good place to look too.