Over 1130 folders with over 65982 messages (I say "over", because this
is just the mail I've been concerned enough with to port into
evolution). As far as disk space, all I can say is that its over 1GB and
intermingled with a lot of other files.

I'm sorry, but how could you possible be required to keep so much email? I have probably 200-250 messages in my saved items, and I like to keep my inbox under 50.. Once my saved items starts getting bigger then that I archive it to CD. Still easy to access if I really need it and keeps my email lean and quick.