On Thu, 2008-09-18 at 13:03 -0400, Darrell Michaud wrote:
> Fedora is very much a bleeding edge distribution. It usually has the most
> late-breaking versions of packages.

The development tree definitely does. Stable releases, it varies a bit
from package to package. One of the interesting things about Fedora
folks might not be aware of is that a huge portion of the packages are
maintained by *community* members, not Red Hat employees.

For the packages I maintain, I tend to put the latest and greatest into
the development tree as soon as possible. The latest release will likely
get those same packages built, and pushed into the updates-testing repo.
For the prior release, I'll often stick to only bugfix updates. Depends
on the exposure from updating the package...

> It is not unheard of to find
> pre-release or beta versions, sometimes against the original upstream
> source's wishes.

We try to work as closely as possible with upstream to make sure that
doesn't happen, but it does still happen sometimes. Occasionally,
pre-release versions get pushed into the devel tree, hoping there will
be a stable release by the time of the upcoming Fedora release, but it
doesn't always happen that way.

> It also tends to be a showcase of ideas
> never-been-packaged-in-a-distribution-before coming out of RedHat's
> research and development. For all that instability, it also tends to be on
> the leading edge of some interesting security and privacy technologies. It
> has a very good SELinux configuration out of the box, and easy
> install-time support for full encrypted disk volumes. It's a great
> distribution for experimenting with the latest and greatest, and is
> generally quite usable.

Indeed. Even the development tree is generally quite useable. My laptop:
$ uname -r
2.6.27-0.329.rc6.git2.fc10.x86_64
$ rpm -q gnome-desktop
gnome-desktop-2.23.92-1.fc10.x86_64

> One major downside is the upgrade treadmill- Fedora's support for previous
> versions does not last long and new versions are released about every six
> months, forcing a cycle of frequent whole-system upgrades.

...which I actually like myself. :)

> Another difficulty for end users is Fedora's scrupulous avoidance of any
> software that might have legal issues being distributed in the US, such as
> most popular audio and video codecs. Fedora does not have built-in support
> proprietary kernel modules or drivers, such as the ATI and NVidia
> accelerated drivers. If you want all those things, you have to get it from
> third-party repositories. Luckily, there are many to choose from that
> specifically target fedora users. I like freshrpms and occasionally livna.

And Real Soon Now, rpmfusion will go live. For those that don't know,
rpmfusion is the merger of livna, freshrpms, dribble and a few other
3rd-party repos.

> Fedora 10 is not scheduled for final release until Nov. If you are going
> to try it I would stick with Fedora 9 and not get pre-release versions of
> 10 unless you are incurably curious. In general the final release tends to
> see a massive wave of fixed packages 1-2 weeks after its initial release.

Sometimes, yeah. Have to freeze the tree at some point, and
internal/community testing of the development tree doesn't hit nearly as
much hardware or use cases as the initial release.

> It is an unlikely linux distribution choice for a business use case, or
> for a non-technical user's situation, but for a technical user's personal
> system or experimentation system it is fun and interesting.

Yeah, I'd generally agree with that. RHEL/CentOS is generally better for
business use case, IMO (unless you need support for newer $foo). I think
Fedora is generally pretty good for non-technical users these days, but
not quite as much so as Ubuntu. It definitely kicks ass for leading-edge
tech though.

--
Jarod Wilson