Bill McGonigle <b...@bfccomputing.com> writes:

> On 07/13/2009 12:40 PM, Michael ODonnell wrote:
> > I confess that I'm happy to use "free" wireless on occasion but I worry
> > that if I make my own AP similarly available then somebody is going to
> > use it to post kiddy-porn or make threats and it'll be traced to my IP
> > address and people with guns will then make me spend a lot of time &
> > money trying to convince them that I didn't do it.
>
> There's also the inverse - if your WiFi isn't uncrackable (given?) and
> the same happens, what is your likely defense?  Running open might offer
> some protection against that scenario.  Granted, not technical problems.
>
> Your concern is real though, a guy in Germany running a Tor exit node
> was raided/beaten and held in jail for that kind of traffic.

And the thing that is often forgotten is that the raid, seizure, and
even jail happen *before* court-trial--before the issue of `defense'
even enters into it. Ending up `not guilty' does not undo whatever
damage is done by the investigative process.

So, the question isn't so much `do you have a good defense' as
`can you minimise your risk of becoming a suspect in the first place'.

Though, if this sort of fear (`there's no legally-safe way to run WiFi')
is really warranted in NH, then maybe we should raise an issue
with our government; NH being home to the Free State Project, and
having several Free Staters in the NH House of Representatives, it may
actually be worthwhile to talk to them.

--
Don't be afraid to ask (Lf.((Lx.xx) (Lr.f(rr)))).