For anyone that is remotely interested, here is the big picture for the
problem I'm trying to solve.  If you are not interested, hey delete the
post.  Won't irritate me in the least!

What I'm trying to do:  Optimizer for a radar power spectral density problem

Problem:  FFTs required in optimization loop take too long on current
workstation for the optimizer to even be viable.

Attempted solution:  FFT engine on remote server to reduce overall
execution time

Builds client - server app implementing above solution.  Server uses
OpenMP and FFTW to exploit all cores.

Asks dumb questions to list regarding binary data transport.  Most say
don't do it.  Out of need, keeps on looking.

Finds examples of binary packing in Beej's online book.  Parts don't work.
Questions to Beej Jorgensen Hall "Beej's Guide to Network Programming":
How does your example program in your book work?  It fails to work on my
platform.  Can it be extended to include other data types?  How can we
make this more robust...  Beej and I improve code.  Interesting
collaboration.

Implements better binary packing unpacking in code.  Stuff works

Nit in solution:  TCP transport time >> FFT execution time, rendering
attempted solution non-viable

Researches TCP optimization: Reads countless papers on tcp optimization
techniques... Fails to find a robust solutions or methodology for
problem.  Tries most techniques written in papers, only realizing a 10%
gain.  Not good enough.  Still needs to be faster

Driven to more exotic techniques to reduce transport time.  Explores
parallel sockets, other techniques

Questions to List:  Trying to understand programming techniques used in
parallel socket implementations, wayback machine, general C++ questions,
probably other dumb questions as well.

Receives some helpful information, appreciates it

Concludes that parallel sockets project was written to pass a university
course and get published, since it is incomplete.  Author was successful
in getting published, however, project still doesn't work completely.
Insufficient information or time for me to finish someone else's
abandoned project which may or may not be viable.

Looks for other more robust solutions for transport.  Finds UDT
project.  UDT seems to work and can be built on multiple platforms.
Test program transports data across my network using 65% of network
capacity, using default options.  Looks promising.  Puzzles about how to
implement in existing code base.

Saga continues...

Hey, that is my bigger picture...  Any and all suggestions are
appreciated.  Undoubtedly, a few dumb questions will follow.  I appear
to be good at it.  :P  Maybe this context will help list subscribers
frame their answers if they have any, or ask insightful questions.

Cheers,
Bruce

Hopefully this explanation is factual and without attitude.
Have a nice weekend, it is looking better and better!