Drew Van Zandt wrote:
> Have you considered using a fast compression/decompression algorithm
> before you transmit, one that isn't too computationally intensive for
> either compression or decompression?  You won't get high compression
> (factor of 10) as you might with slower ones, but if you get even a
> factor of 2, you've just doubled the effective network speed.

I hadn't thought of this.  Typically a lot of the data is random, so
compression doesn't help too much.  Or at least, that is what I
thought.  If I'm wrong, I hope someone will cheerfully correct me :)

I did do an experiment that had curious results.  Instead of sending
double precision binary data, I sent single precision or 'float'.  I was
expecting to halve my transmission time, since it is half the size.
Instead, there was only a 10-15% speed increase, not a 100%.  This
result is telling me something, although at this time, I'm too brain
dead to really ascertain what it really means.
> It appears to me that this would only gain you 50% or so, as the
> obvious fast compression algorithms are only about twice as fast
> (http://www.quicklz.com/bench.html) as Gigabit Ethernet's theoretical
> speed, but it's worth consideration.  The decompression is faster than
> the compression, which would hopefully result in a net win on
> processing time on remote server.
>
> --DTVZ

Thanks for your suggestions.  Compression would certainly help out.
Bruce