Update: Our DSL service has been restored and now works as before.
There were apparently multiple problems on FairPoint's end, but we
also had some mis-communications internally (again, all-volunteer
organization, no regular business hours).

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.  The mobile broadband would be
enticing since it would allow us to take our connection with us to
special events, but it might not be worth the money for us.  It looks
like our general options are really limited to FairPoint or Comcast
and at this point we'll probably stick with FairPoint.

Thanks,
Peter