On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 2:06 PM, David Rysdam <da...@rysdam.org> wrote:
> On 05/12/2010 01:46 PM, Joshua Judson Rosen wrote:
>> This is why I'm dubious of these `N810's GPS receiver is slow' claims--
>> because coupling them with `... so I never use it' is actually a
>> vicious cycle.
[...]
> I will note, though, that when I first unpacked my actual GPS it
> acquired a signal in just a couple of minutes *from inside the house*
> whereas the N810 has rarely done it even standing in the yard for
> significant fractions of an hour.

The N810's GPS doesn't seem to be as good as a dedicated GPS when it
comes to an initial fix.  Some of this seems to be about almanacs and
stuff.  Once it has a fix, it seems to work quite well.

The AGPS update/addition frequently helped.  Esp. if the GPS is used
frequently, its time to initial fix is quite quick.  The AGPS update
adds the feature of telling the system approximately where it is on
the map.  This is a useful feature for when it is going to take a long
time.

I've noted that my Droid typically gets initial fixes nearly
instantly.  However, it has the advantage of cell-tower triangulation
for an approximate initial fix.  The N900 should have this ability
also.

Cheers!
Ty

--
Tyson D Sawyer

A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent
of many bad measures.   - Daniel Webster