David Rysdam <da...@rysdam.org> writes:
> On 05/12/2010 01:46 PM, Joshua Judson Rosen wrote:
> >
> > This is why I'm dubious of these `N810's GPS receiver is slow' claims--
> > because coupling them with `... so I never use it' is actually a
> > vicious cycle.
>
> Are the claims peculiar to the N810?  If not, perhaps you are right.
> What other not-always-on-the-internet devices that support GPS as a
> non-main feature are there?
>
> I could do a test.  Get a fix, drop it, wait N hours and reacquire.
> Graph reacquisition time against N.  Except I'll never have the time for
> all those tests, so I'll just do one if you suggest a value for N.

Well, the way I interpreted your described use-pattern put N
somewhere in the thousands. ;)

My suggestion is to duplicate the ranges of N described in this here
page that I found:

     http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/ttffcomparisons.php

... noting that "between 8 to 12 hours" means that you
want to have had a successful fix *within the past 12 hours*; and that
you want to be sure that you actually wait for a `3-D fix', because
you can get a 2-D fix before you have enough data to get a 3-D fix,
and some elements such as GPS time can become available without having
attained fix.

    Cold tests

         were performed when both Pocket PC and GPS receiver were
         powered off (if GPS receiver has a separate power source, the
         GPS receiver was unplugged) for a period of between 8 to 12
         hours requiring a cold start.

    Warm tests

          Warm tests were performed when both Pocket PC and GPS
          receiver were powered off (if GPS receiver has a separate
          power source, the GPS receiver was unplugged) for a period
          of 30 minutes

    Hot tests

          Hot tests were performed when both Pocket PC and GPS
          receiver were powered off (if GPS receiver has a separate
          power source, the GPS receiver was unplugged) for a period
          of 15 minutes

And, of course: be sure that you are outdoors with a clear sky,
and that you have a nice wide view of that sky.

It'd probably be worthwhile to take note of both the `2-D fix' time
and the `3-D fix' time, and the length of their delta.

> I will note, though, that when I first unpacked my actual GPS it
> acquired a signal in just a couple of minutes *from inside the house*
> whereas the N810 has rarely done it even standing in the yard for
> significant fractions of an hour.

Pshaw--I bet that's another trick: they probably preprogrammed it with
your shipping-/billing-address, just to make themselves look better ;)