On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 8:42 PM, David Rysdam <da...@rysdam.org> wrote:
> I was outside, I was still WiFi'd in to the house so it was using AGPS.
>  Result: Invalid.

[...]

> Conclusion: The N810 GPS hardware and/or software definitively sucks.

Though I agree that the N810 is not as good a GPS is most others, once
the AGPS package had bee installed my experience was much better than
what you are reporting.  You have not indicated if you had the AGPS
package installed.  Last I knew, it was not a standard package.  If
you didn't make a point to install it, its not there.  Without it, it
is my impression that you always get a cold start.

Response to some other comments:

It is well documented that GPS's typically assume that they are
restarted near where they where last used.  The documentation of every
GPS I have ever bought says that if you turn it off and then transport
it a long distance before turning it on again, it will take much
longer to get a fix.  The N810 without the AGPS package seems not able
to do even this simple trick.

Though I've never seen any problem with slow movement,  I have seen
(esp. on the N810) that highway speeds can hinder an initial fix.

Cheers!
Ty

--
Tyson D Sawyer

A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent
of many bad measures.   - Daniel Webster