On 06/10/2010 02:11 PM, Bill Sconce wrote:
> (I am not making this up.)  Such a plea caused me to do some
> perhaps-foolish things.  I called the library; I volunteered
> to help them; I omitted to ask what hardware was involved.

No good deed goes unpunished.
> Does anyone have experience, either with this laptop (Dell
> Dimension E5500) or with getting a $#! Broadcom adapter to work
> (a 4318 apparently) -- or experience which justifies a decision
> to just not do this?

Linksys uses Broadcom drivers in their wireless access points, so
apparently I've gotten quite a few drivers working.

I stumbled across this page which seems to have a lot of suggestions,
Fedora-specific:

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/archive/index.php/t-239922.html

As an alternative, you might suggest they buy a wireless card which is
supportable, but then you'll be responsible for identifying the correct
card: ExpressCard, CardBus, PCMCIA and which vendor is using which chip
in which revision...

--
Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC