Benjamin Scott <dragonh...@gmail.com> writes:

>   Hmm again.  Okay, so I've just found something which makes me even
> less thrilled with Debian's approach (although this may be a new thing
> Adobe is doing so not really Debian's fault).  Anyway, today at least,
> Adobe provides a .deb package:
>

> http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/install_flash_player_10_linux.deb
>
>   Seems to install fine.  I'll test it when I get back to my X console
> at home.  :)

But there you've still got the `doesn't automatically update via APT'
situation, don't you (in which case, you might still be better off with
the `lenny-backports' thing)? Or does Adobe actually have an APT archive,
somewhere?

I see that they have an "apt:" URL in use `for Ubuntu 9.04+', which
presumably finds it in Ubuntu's stock archive (but no package
by that name is visible at packages.ubuntu.com; maybe that's
intentional...). And I'm inclined to go, `wait--isn't Ubuntu 9.04
2 years behind at this point?', but I guess that'd just-about equate
to the Debian release that just came out, huh? ;)

(and it looks like your .deb is supposed to be `for Ubuntu 8.04+';
 maybe that means `works with the Debian released in 2009', maybe not).