I can't verify, but according to an article comment on serverfault[1],
requesting the domain-name and host-name from the server negates the "send
host-name" option. There were a few other suggestions in that article as
well. Normally MS DHCP/DNS only allows secure updates, and this must be
expressly changed to allow insecure updates. Either the insecure updates are
enabled and that's how the Ubuntu machines work, or possibly the Ubuntu
machines are doing something else (joined to the domain with likewise-open
maybe? Using nsupdate to do a secure update, which according to a 2008
thread on a bind list is conceivable with BIND 9.5's nsupdate[2]).

-Shawn

[1]
http://serverfault.com/questions/104220/update-hostname-from-debian-machine-with-dhcp-to-a-windows-2008-dns-server
[2]