On  2.6.31-11-rt (Ubuntu 10.04 realtime kernel)

./a.out starting...
My original scheduling policy is SCHED_OTHER (0)
The original minimum scheduling priority is 0, the maximum is 0
sched_get_priority_max(1) returned 99
sched_get_priority_min(1) returned 1
My target scheduling policy is SCHED_FIFO (1)
The target minimum scheduling priority is 1, the maximum is 99
params.sched_priority now set to 98
It worked - now running in high-priority mode
params.sched_priority now set to 98
Now running at original scheduler policy
My scheduling policy is SCHED_OTHER
The minimum scheduling priority is 0, the maximum is 0

On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 4:19 PM, Kevin D. Clark <kevin_d_cl...@comcast.net>wrote:

> Strange.  I made a few minor changes (see attached patch)
> and when I run your code on my test machine running Linux kernel
> 2.6.35 I get the following output:
>
>   $ sudo ./latencytest
>   ./latencytest starting...
>   My original scheduling policy is SCHED_OTHER (0)
>   The original minimum scheduling priority is 0, the maximum is 0
>   sched_get_priority_max(1) returned 99
>   sched_get_priority_min(1) returned 1
>   My target scheduling policy is SCHED_FIFO (1)
>   The target minimum scheduling priority is 1, the maximum is 99
>   params.sched_priority now set to 98
>   It worked - now running in high-priority mode
>   params.sched_priority now set to 98
>   Now running at original scheduler policy
>   My scheduling policy is SCHED_OTHER
>   The minimum scheduling priority is 0, the maximum is 0
>   $
>
> We'll have to look deeper.  Of course, the first thing that comes to
> mind is that you are running a 3.x kernel, and I am not (yet).
>
> Regards,
>
> --kevin
> --
> alumni.unh.edu!kdc / http://kdc-blog.blogspot.com/
> GnuPG: D87F DAD6 0291 289C EB1E 781C 9BF8 A7D8 B280 F24E
>
> And the Army Ants, they leave nothin' but the bones...
>    -- Tom Waits

-- Thomas