Fossil here, too. I sympathize.

I'm not sure what exact problem you are experiencing, but one way to start
to get a handle on it is to create a USB thumb drive with a "live" version
of one or more other Linux distributions and try booting to it to see
whether they get a reasonable keyboard configuration out-of-the-box.

I have an old netbook where I mangled the keyboard connector, so it has to
have an external keyboard to do anything.

And there's also this possibility:
https://github.com/pop-os/keyboard-configurator

 -- jmcg