Heather and Michael: Please let me know if you can attend on Thursday
the 31st, otherwise, I'll reschedule.

I hope to hold a Board of Directors meeting on Thurday, July 31st in
Manchester. The Public Library had to withdraw its offer as their
children's program needs the space. I've asked the folks at the ABI if
we might use their meeting space. If not, we might end up in a parking
lot somewhere or at a seedy bar, with any luck. The New Hampshire Fisher
Cats with be completing their route of the Portland Sea Dogs, complete
with Atlas Fireworks, so it ought to be a fun time in the Queen City.
Stay tuned for details.

Shawn and Ben had indicated their willingness to attend. maddog is on
the left side of the Atlantic. Bill Sconce expressed grave reservations
at last night's PySIG. I'd appreciate one more board member to let me
know they can make it to continue to persue this, or the other two to
express their regrets and I'll work at rescheduling.

I expect the other officers will want to update the board, and I welcome
all interested parties to bring up issues or questions to the board as well.

To catch up the board of directors and all interested parties,

I met with a student intern, Lydia Liu, and her faculty advisor, Ashlyn
Lembree, at the Franklin Pierce Law Center clinic on 1 July 2008. IAW
the direction of the board, I signed a letter of agreement that the
clinic will advise GNHLUG on the matter of obtaining 501(c)(3) status --
original to be provided to the Secretary at the next meeting. Lydia was
only attending fplc.edu for the summer and would likely not see me
again. The clinic is pretty much shut down for the month of August, but
we can expect additional help in September and onward, from different
students.

I was provided with a copy of the following documents, and we reviewed
them in detail:

(a) "Applying for 501(c)(3) Tax-Exempt Status"

(I couldn't find a link to this exact document, but if you start reading
at http://www.irs.gov/charities/charitable/index.html, you'll eventually
know it all)

(b) Publication 557 (06/2008), Tax-Exempt Status for Your Organization
http://www.irs.gov/publications/p557/index.html OR
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p557.pdf

(c) IRS Form 1023 "Application for Recognition of Exemption" and the
accompanying instructions for that form.
http://www.irs.gov/formspubs/index.html

(d) Form 2848, "Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representation" I
asked why on earth the FPLC would want to be the official representative
of GNHLUG, and they were stumped for an answer, too. At this point, that
document remains incomplete. As we do not require representation for any
proceding, it seemed wise to put it aside for the time being.

The following actions have to be completed in order for us to move forward:

1. The Board needs to amend the current articles of incorporation in two
regards: the purpose has to be made more clearly iaw the guidance of the
501(c)(3) and the dissolution arrangements need to be more specific in
disposing of any assets to another 501(c)(3) organization. Suggestions
for the exact wording will be provided by one of the interns.

2. The board and assisting members need to document the charitable
contributions made to the group over the past three years, and create
this as a budget. There were two units of measure suggested, and both
should be used: actual dollars expended and volunteer hours contributed.
Details to be discussed at the board meeting.

3. Form 1023, Part IV, what I've nicknamed "The Essay Question" and the
IRS calls "Narrative Description of Your Activities" which pretty much
counts for 90% of the grade. This is not only a description of what we
are, but concrete examples of what we've done, and included attachments
(handouts, flyers, pictures from activities, etc.) that should clinch
the application. This is the other major board/volunteers task that I'd
like to work with others to undertake. There's a lot of material here if
we can take the time to assemble a timeline of events, participants,
activities and contributions.

--

Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC