Erik Price <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > Any sales guy who knows what you know about shell scripts impresses
> > me.  I know *very senior* engineers who don't know this stuff.
>
> Is that because they do it in Perl and therefore never use bash, or
> because they don't program?  (I hope it's the latter b/c that bodes
> well for my current job hunt [server side programming])

I totally messed up when I answered this question in a previous email.

"Why don't (software) engineers know shell scripting?"  Is this the
question?

If this is the question, then I guess I'd have to answer:

  o  I dunno.  And...

  o  Some software engineers I know come from more of a Windows
     background.  They might have some VB experience, or more likely
     they know how to write DOS batch scripts.  When they come to find
     themselves in a Unix environment, they assume that Unix
     shell-scripts are pretty similar to DOS batch scripts (which are
     pretty horrible).  This comparison is false, but that's the
     perception.

Shell scripts are like a convenient glue or maybe like a handy power
tool (think cordless screwdriver).  There's some initial learning
curve, but after you're over this curve, you've got a *very* handy job
skill.  People without this skill are forced to do things the hard way
(*).

*  Like for example, the people I know who know that they want to make
   a textual replacement in, oh, a thousand files -- they either write
   a custom C program to do this, or else they make the changes
   *by hand*.  Duh...

--kevin
--
Kevin D. Clark / Cetacean Networks / Portsmouth, N.H. (USA)
cetaceannetworks.com!kclark (GnuPG ID: B280F24E)