In a message dated: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 18:07:18 EDT
Michael O'Donnell said:

>If you haven't messed with this 'Process Substitution' stuff
>before, examples like the following could (as my favorite oracle
>might say) "bake your noodle":
>
>  ls -l <( echo  )
>  echo  <( ls -l )
>
>...my noodle is currently al dente.  (I mean, all denty...)

Mine is pretty well cooked now:

        pll@tater:~$ ls -l <( echo  )
        lr-x------  1 pll  pll     64 Jul 31 10:02 /dev/fd/63 -> pipe:[5071]
        pll@tater:~$ echo  <( ls -l )
        /dev/fd/63

Definitely not what I expected at all.  Especially considering

        pll@tater:~$ ls -l /dev/fd/
        total 0
        lrwx------    1 pll      pll            64 Jul 31 10:14 0 -> /dev/pts/1
        lrwx------    1 pll      pll            64 Jul 31 10:14 1 -> /dev/pts/1