On Wed, 2002-07-31 at 11:07, Michael O'Donnell wrote:

[snip]

> > Process substitution is supported on systems that support
> > named pipes (FIFOs) or the /dev/fd method of naming
> > open files.  It takes the form of <(list) or >(list).
> > The process list is run with its input or output connected
> > to a FIFO or some file in /dev/fd.  The name of this file
> > is passed as an argument to the current command as the
> > result of the expansion.  If the >(list) form is used,
> > writing to the file will provide input for list.  If the
> > <(list) form is used, the file passed as an argument
> > should be read to obtain the output of list.

So this is like the =(list) construct in the Z shell?  I'm liking it
more and more.  That and in-line mult-line command editing are two
things I've always liked about zsh that were missing in bash. Now bash
has 'shopt -s lithist' that comes real close to the way zsh works with
multi-line commands.

So anyone know when process substitution was introduced into bash?  Just
curious.

--
-Paul Iadonisi
 Senior System Administrator