On So, 2008-10-12 at 14:08 +0200, Kenneth Nielsen wrote: > Hello my fellow GNOME enthusiasts > > Ok so knowing that there is a tendency towards "Too Long Didn't Read", > if you think this looks to long, just skip to "A set of interesting > stats".
.... Hallo Kenneth I think your message was written in very good spirit, but of course, I'm a translator :-) The message of "it was harder than usual, let's be aware of that" is a useful one, I think. I'll try to be brief. I'm from a "small" team. Most of the issues affect us in similar ways, sometimes a bit worse. There are several other issues, like the increasing size of GNOME. We need to reconsider things from time to time, although I have to agree with Claude: things mostly work quite well (especially compared to other projects where I have been involved). About strings not marked for translation: Let's give developers a tool to address the problem with. The Translate Toolkit contains podebug: http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/toolkit/podebug This allows the developer to change a PO file in a few ways, to test for coverage of the strings for translation: podebug normal.po new.po --rewrite=xxx --format="" msgid "File" msgstr "xxxFilexxx" Any strings without xxx...xxx are not marked for translation. podebug normal.po new.po --rewrite=unicode --format="" msgid "complex" msgstr "ƈǿḿƥŀḗẋ" (you might not see all the characters if you don't have fonts for the characters) This allows the developer to test for non-ASCII translations to see that it doesn't break anything (I don't think this is a common problem in GNOME, but I could be wrong). For some reason I see it doesn't take .pot files as input, but a simple rename to .po will solve it. It will unfortunately also "translate" the variables. Perhaps this is something we can improve for a next release. I believe this is something useful. Shall we start to suggest this to developers? Perhaps we can at least remove one type of problem that Kenneth mentioned (strings not marked for translation). Friedel -- Recently on my blog: http://translate.org.za/blogs/friedel/en/content/autocompletion-during-translation _______________________________________________ gnome-i18n mailing list [email protected] http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gnome-i18n
