On 04/05/2018 03:01 PM, Luke wrote:

> Per QT Docs, as long as QTLocation is not compiled then Google APIs for
> Geolocation should not execute.
> https://wiki.qt.io/QtWebEngine/Features#HTML5_Geolocation

Ah, ok, that makes sense.  So, I browsed to http://browserleaks.com/geo/

in Falkon, and I did see some Google API activity happening in the
background that seemed as if the QtLocation is still compiled into this
version, at least.  Bummer....

> Also Per QT, Google OAth shouldn't execute so as long as the Google API
> key is not included in the software.
> http://blog.qt.io/blog/2017/01/25/connecting-qt-application-google-services-using-oauth-2-0/
> (The same is true for Mozilla Firefox in both cases)

I'm not sure if this is as easy to test as the other, because I don't
even have a google account to be authorized with. But if the Geolocation
feature is a hint, then I'd assume this is still turned on as well, at
least in this package, by default.

So, how would one go about testing OAuth?  Would I need to have a google
account to test with?  And if I can log into something like
openstreetmaps.org using my Google account info, is that OAuth, or am I
oversimplifying things?

And the solution for privacy-minded folks then would be to either avoid
QtWebEngine entirely, or else compile your own with these turned off at
compile time?  Seems like a hassle....

thanks for helping me explore,

- krt

--
This email account is used for list management only.
https://strangetimes.observer/