On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 08:11:33 +0200, David Kastrup wrote:

> Yes, but it is not a right of the buyer, but a right of the copyright
> owner that this happens.  So the buyer can't sue, he can just notify the
> copyright owner.  If the copyright owner can't be bothered, the buyer is
> pretty much out of options.
>
> That is the reason that the FSF wants copyright assignments to
> contributions for important GNU software.

Wouldn't the buyer notify either the retailer, or, preferably, the
manufacturer?  Might there not be multiple copyright owners?  I don't see
why their participation is required, it's between the buyer and the
manufacturer.  The manufacturer is distributing binaries, so must make
the source available to its customers.

-Thufir