Afaik (ask Samuel Thibault) Hurd development still continues, but slowly,
encountering some problems because of bad interfaces (I think I heard
about MIG and Mach yes) and POSIX requirements.  But it (since recently,
only some years) features x86_64 and USB support, which are new things.
It also support the X Window System.  What it principally lacks yet
(beside general architecture redesign) are more architectures, sound, and
wireless networking (but I heard there was work for this to make “glue
code” so that to support all the Linux’s wireless drivers without
rewriting them).

So it’s slow, unfinished, but not non-working or stopped at all.  It’s just
a non-priority, mainly developped on the free-time of 1-2 people (mainly
youpi and braurn iirc)…  But help would be appreciated I guess (the main
problem, as I-forgot-which-one-of-those did put it very well: sufficiently
skilled people lack sufficient time, and people with enough time lack
sufficient skills :/)