On Oct 14, 2013, at 10:54 AM, Geert Janssens <janssens-ge...@telenet.be> wrote:

> On Saturday 12 October 2013 15:36:10 John Ralls wrote:
> > I went searched bugzilla for bugs that mention "register2" either in
> > the title or a comment. For the ones which are clearly register2
> > problems I changed the category to a new one, Register2, and made
> > them blockers on 673193, the original register2 bug. There are 17.
> > There are 4 crashers.
> >
> > It's not a bug, but the widely derided double scrollbar is still there
> > as well.
> >
> > This isn't shippable, and we were planning to release 2.6 in December.
> > AFAICT no work has been done on Reg2 since the beginning of August.
> >
> > Do we rip it out or push back the release?
> >
> Robert gave you the answer I think.

Yeah.

> I think we should disable the Register2 code (I suppose that's what you meant
> with "rip it out") until he's ready to continue on it, or someone else steps
> up to work on it.

No, by rip it out, I meant branch and then revert the patches in trunk. But
wrapping it all in a configure option would be OK, too, as long as Robert can
get back to working on it before bit-rot sets in.

I did a little research yesterday on replacing libgnomecanvas. There's a
replacement library called goocanvas [1] that's actively maintained, works with
Gtk3, and is somewhat similar to libgnomecanvas. I think that's better than
rewriting to cairo, which is pretty low-level.

Regards,
John Ralls

[1] https://developer.gnome.org/goocanvas/stable/