> On Jul 11, 2018, at 1:03 PM, Wm via gnucash-devel <gnucash-devel@gnucash.org>
> wrote:
>
> On 11/07/2018 03:49, John Ralls wrote:
>>> On Jul 10, 2018, at 6:45 PM, Wm <wm_o_...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>> Aside: is there a reason why version changes aren't on (or easily found
>>> from) the front page  of gnucash.org? they used to be there.
>> David T. thought that it made the front page too busy and moved it to
>> https://www.gnucash.org/news.phtml <https://www.gnucash.org/news.phtml>.
>
> Hmmn.  Does anyone else think that news and release notes aren't quite the
> same?  That there has been a release, possibly with notes, is indeed news.
> I'm sorta thinking the release notes should be close to the download,
> especially for a version change, rather than tucked away under some Bugzilla
> stuff that the vast majority of users don't care about.
>
> I can't find the release notes on sourceforge.net (which is, I think, were
> most people get their GnuCash from) either.
>
> Ho hum.  A thread nearby suggests someone else didn't have the 2.x to 3.x
> changes made clear to him.

I think most Windows and Mac users get GnuCash by clicking the OS-specific link
from https://www.gnucash.org <https://www.gnucash.org/>. That does link to
SourceForge but it takes one straight to the download page for the particular
file, makes you wait 5 seconds so that you’ll be tempted to click on the
misleading ads, then begins the download. After the download IIRC it takes you
to the main project page.

The release notes are included in the distribution itself, in C:\Program Files
(x86)\gnucash\share\docs\gnucash\NEWS, but you raise a good point: It would be
simple enough to expand the README in the download directory to have the same
information as the release page on Github instead of only the sha-256 hashes of
the downloadable files.

Regards,
John Ralls