On 09/02/2019 13:03, D via gnucash-devel wrote:
That sounds to me like it's using a different exchange rate from one day to
another, and I'd agree with your assessment in that case. I would have thought
that the exchange rate in the transaction would be used.

You are correct. I have an amount of something (shares, foreign currency, whatever) worth (nominally) what I paid for it.

Mind you, I can't wrap my head around the subtleties that seem to apply on this
report.

There should not be any subtleties in a TB, it is an internal document not a public facing one, the tax people don't ask for your trial balance in any place I know unless they think you are bad person in the first place.

If I don't buy or sell some of whatever it is, I just have what I have for TB purposes.

If I want to place a value on whatever I put a price in the price database on a date and use a Balance Sheet report.

The TB is about *actual* tx not values at some putative point in time later.

--
Wm