> On Mar 13, 2018, at 4:47 AM, elvis <el...@dogonfire.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I run Gnucash under Gentoo and it has recently recommended it be upgraded to
> 2.7.4
>

> Currently I use 2.6.15
>
> I was wondering if there was any real problem with doing this? I understand
> the database changes format, that's not a problem.

The reason Gentoo recommends upgrading to 2.7.x is that 2.6.x requires an old
version of libwebkit and Gentoo wants to get rid of that dependency. 2.7.x uses
up-to-date libwebkit.

Unfortunately 2.7.x is an unstable release series with frequent releases and
Gentoo isn’t keeping up: 2.7.4 was from the end of January, we just released
2.7.6 yesterday and will release 2.7.7 next weekend. If everything goes well
3.0 will follow the weekend after that.

I’d recommend *not* installing 2.7.4. 2.7.6 is much more stable, but there are
still a couple of significant bugs that we know about. If you want to be a
beta-tester you could install that, but if you just want to get your accounting
done you should wait for 3.0.

Regards,
John Ralls