Thanks John for the comprehensive answer, I will hold off until 3.0

On 14/03/18 00:30, John Ralls wrote:

On Mar 13, 2018, at 4:47 AM, elvis <> wrote:

I run Gnucash under Gentoo and it has recently recommended it be upgraded to

Currently I use 2.6.15

I was wondering if there was any real problem with doing this? I understand the
database changes format, that's not a problem.
The reason Gentoo recommends upgrading to 2.7.x is that 2.6.x requires an old
version of libwebkit and Gentoo wants to get rid of that dependency. 2.7.x uses
up-to-date libwebkit.

Unfortunately 2.7.x is an unstable release series with frequent releases and
Gentoo isn’t keeping up: 2.7.4 was from the end of January, we just released
2.7.6 yesterday and will release 2.7.7 next weekend. If everything goes well
3.0 will follow the weekend after that.

I’d recommend *not* installing 2.7.4. 2.7.6 is much more stable, but there are
still a couple of significant bugs that we know about. If you want to be a
beta-tester you could install that, but if you just want to get your accounting
done you should wait for 3.0.

John Ralls

If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see for more information.