> As you can see, such a question can generate more suggestions than
> people responding.

+1 (I agree), this is mostly because there is no single "Linux", every
GNU+Linux system distribution has different goals, different community
rules, views, software freedom status, and so on. It's like
clothing, some fit and some don't.

When someone says that they're using "Linux", that tells nothing both in
terms of which distro and if that distro's project is committed to
support only free/libre software or not.

Historically, and as is still today, it's common for distro projects to
combine tools from the GNU project together with Linux (kernel), or to
depend on some tools from GNU in order to make the kernel or some other
package. Linux (kernel) isn't the user-friendly or full-featured thing
we know about if we name it alone --- for example in phrases such as "I
use Linux" ---, so one can address the "set" of default packages in a
given distro by calling the distro's name --- /e.g.:/ "I use Trisquel"
(which is true by the way, :D) --- this should give credit to: GNU
project (if the distro uses or provides its software), Linux (assuming
this is the default kernel used), and all the people that contributed and
also those which sill contribute to the distro.

> Whatever distro you choose, use their forums for help on your specific
> problem. They’ll be able to provide more tailored assistance.

+1