Sales Tax on sales is *not* an expense or revenue. You shouldn’t need to
balance it against anything. It’s a pass-through liability.‡ It should have no
bearing on your books other than you have to collect it and remit it.

Note, if you are in a VAT jurisdiction and you are reimbursing for services,
product or materials that will be resold/incorporated into a final product,
then you have a complication with tracking the VAT paid on those expenses.
(which there is another thread on the list in the last 3-4 months about as I
mentioned.)

Sales Tax on purchases *is* an expense, you just record it in a regular expense
account.‡

‡p.s. - be sure to verify these with a local CPA familiar with your
jurisdiction. The above is general practice in the U.S.