At Tue, 27 Nov 2018 10:13:37 +0100 Geert Janssens <geert.gnuc...@kobaltwit.be>
wrote:

> Op dinsdag 27 november 2018 00:17:06 CET schreef John Ralls:
> > > On Nov 27, 2018, at 6:35 AM, Stephen M. Butler <kg...@arrl.net> wrote:
> > The other big issue is that your description of the various modules in a
> > business accounting system is for *big* business. That’s not what GnuCash
> > is designed for and not what the current development team is interested in,
> > never mind (as you point out) capable of supporting. There are a several
> > open-source projects in that space, search the web for “foss erp” to
> > find
> > them. GnuCash is focussed on very small businesses (as in sole
> > proprietorships) and individuals.
>
> I mostly agree, yet I think many small businesses would benefit from a simple
> inventory management system. My own business would have for that matter.
>
> And while inventory is not strictly accounting it would make gnucash a viable
> option to quite a few extra small businesses. So I'm in two minds with
> respect
> to inventory support and have been for quite a while. In the past I
> envisioned
> implementing it myself (reusing certain parts of the existing code and adding
> the missing bits) but for various reasons shifted to other priorities. If
> someone would step in to write it, I would still support the effort though.

"Inventory Management" is so close to managing stocks, that it should be
possible to implement with bit of recycling/repurposing the existing code for
stocks...  One can *almost* fake it now by considering physical inventory as
if it were a stock and using a "stock" type account.

> Payroll on the other hand is not my cup of tea and likely more targeted at
> larger businesses.

Yes, a full fledged Payroll module would likely to be major bit of coding, but
maybe a simplified small scale Payroll module *might* be of use to smaller
businesses (say < 5 employees).

> More generally, we can certainly use more hands to carry gnucash forward. So
> Stephen your offer to lend us a hand is highly appreciated :)

+1

> Regards,
>
> Geert

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
hel...@deepsoft.com       -- Webhosting Services